Posting Date: May 17, 2019
Position Title: Community Sport Development Coordinator (Second Position Available)
Program: Canada Summer Jobs
Softball BC is seeking a summer student to fill the position of Community Sport Development Coordinator. The position will be for 8 weeks. Softball BC is seeking an individual who is able to work with a team, as well as independently, and can engage with people easily with confidence. This position requires someone who is interested in community outreach, softball and getting children and youth active.
About Softball BC
The British Columbia Amateur Softball Association (Softball BC) is the governing body for softball in British Columbia. Established in 1948, Softball BC is a provincial sports organization, a registered non-profit society and is responsible for the administration, advancement and promotion of Softball throughout the province of British Columbia.
Softball BC works with local, regional, provincial and national Softball organizations and other sports organizations to create a safe, welcoming, fun environment for participants and to develop the sport at all levels and for all age groups.
Vision Statement: ‘Softball for Everyone’
Mission Statement: ‘To govern, lead and develop the sport of Softball in British Columbia’
Value Statements: ‘Softball BC seeks to build a fun, fair and safe environment for all participants to enjoy the game at any level’
Purpose of the Community Sport Development Coordinator
This position participates in grassroots community promotional events, assists in the implementation and coordination of all of Softball BC’s community programs including, but not limited to, Come Try It events, Olympic Day, Community Fairs and Festivals, Regional and Provincial Championships, Olympic Qualifier and Canada Cup Events. The Community Sport Development Coordinator will work with Softball BC’s Local Sports Organizations, community partners and organizers to prepare and deliver events. The Coordinator will attend community and club events to assist volunteers with promoting Softball in all areas. Working with Softball BC’s sport partners, including viaSport and Sport BC, the Coordinator will also work to promote softball throughout the sport sector.
The Community Sports Development Coordinator reports to the Executive Director and will be mentored by the Program Coordinator and Member Benefits Coordinator of Softball BC. The key area of this position is to support and encourage children and youth to become more active and participate at stations and games at local events. This position will also be working with Softball BC’s social media platforms and posting information frequently and will be responsible for promotional initiatives throughout the employment term.
As part of this position, the successful candidate will propose and complete a project with Softball BC that aligns with the Softball BC Strategic Play and organizational needs. The project will be presented to the Executive Director for endorsement at the start of the summer term. The candidate will work with Softball BC staff to complete their project by the end of the term.
- Community Events
- Social Media
- Special Projects
- Administration duties will also occur with this position, where the need rises
- Resident of British Columbia
- Youth 18-30 years of age who may be returning to school in the Fall of 2019 or recent graduate
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Valid driver’s license
- Must be available to work 37.5 hours per week
- Experience working with Microsoft Office and Outlook
- Softball related experience in coaching, officiating or athlete participation
- Community recreation experience
- Experience with social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Experience with Word Press website management would be an asset
- Experience in customer service or public relations
- Previous experience in event management
- An independent means of transportation is an asset
Position Title: Community Sport Development Coordinator
- Number of Positions: 1
- Reports to: Executive Director of Softball BC
- Provincial Office Location: #201-8889 Walnut Grove Drive, Langley
- Hours of Work: 5 hours (full-time)
- Work Week: Varied – dependent on community events. Must be available to work evenings and weekends.
- Hourly Wage: $15.00/hour
- Position advertisement date: May 17, 2019
- Length of Term: 8 weeks
- Closing Date: May 31, 2019
- Position Commencement date: Negotiable
To be considered for this opportunity, please address your cover letter, resume and any other related documentation, by email only, to:
Executive Director, Softball BC
Softball BC appreciates the interest of all applicants, only those who are invited for an interview will be contacted.
Softball BC is committed to protecting children and creating safe environments for children and youth. The successful candidate must meet all requirements as set out in the Softball BC Screening Policy and will be subject to a Criminal Record Check.